Commissioning Bible Fellowship Members
Commissioning Bible Fellowship Members for Short-Term Trips
For Bible Fellowship Directors
Why do we commission class members?
Sending out members from your Bible Fellowship as short-term missionaries is one way senders can be a part of this beautiful experience.
· “How will anyone go and tell them without being sent?” (Romans 10:15).
· “The share of the person who stays with the supplies is to be the same as the one who goes to battle.” (1 Samuel 30:24).
· “The whole body…grows…as each part does its work.” (Ephesians 4:16).
Communities of faith have been sending out their members on cross-cultural, short-term trips for 2000 years.
“In the church at Antioch…the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." So after they had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off.” (Acts 13:1-3).
When the goers return and share their stories, the senders feel part of what God did:
“They sailed back to Antioch, where they had been committed to the grace of God for the work they had now completed…they gathered the church together and reported all that God had done through them and how he had opened the door of faith to the Gentiles. (Acts 14:26,27)
How do we commission class members?
1. Plan the date on one of the last Sundays mornings before the trip. It is important to be in the ABF time so that it is part
of the normal life of the class.
2. Invite the goer(s) to sit in the front of the room.
3. Ask the goer(s) to summarize what the team will do in 1-6 sentences, 30 seconds or less. (Set this up ahead of time.)
4. Read aloud one or more of the Scriptures above or below:
o “I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, 'You are my servant'; I have
chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand…Do not fear; I will help you."
o "He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield
and rampart. Psalm 91:4
o “my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and
achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” Isa. 55:11
5. Invite the rest of the ABF to come to the front of the room. Suggest that they place a hand on the shoulder, head, back,
etc., of one of the Team Members. If they cannot reach a team member, suggest they rest a hand on the shoulder of
someone who can touch the/a short-term goer(s). Physical touch while praying may be new to some people, but it is an
ancient practice for senders.
6. Invite ABF members to pray for the goer(s) and allow time for prayers.
7. Speak a blessing such as:
“May God use you to move his work forward and use this experience to grow you.”